Ron Bowey was Chairman and majority owner of Bowey Homes, a major northeast housebuilding company established in 1907 by his grandfather. Ron took a degree in business before joining the family business as a graduate trainee. He was subsequently appointed as managing director in the 1980s under the executive chairmanship of his father, Ralph. In 2006, the business was sold for £23.6m to Irish housebuilding group McInerney Holdings and Ron stood down as Chairman. At the time Bowey Homes was building approximately 350 houses a year and making profits in excess of £4m per annum. He retired in 2007.
Mr Bowey and his wife Louise are patrons of the Community Foundation Tyne & Wear and Northumberland, where they have a family fund. The Ron and Louise Bowey Fund supports a range of causes focused on issues associated with young people such as the Sunderland Scouts and Grainger Park Boys Club. The couple also regularly opens their 25 acres of landscaped gardens and woodlands to the public to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Research.