John Fleming was a solicitor who lived and worked in Newcastle. He is renowned for donating £25,000 to establish the Fleming Memorial Hospital for Sick Children in 1886. The gift was in memory of his wife who passed away in 1882.
The Fleming Memorial Hospital at Moor Edge, was officially opened by Lord Armstrong on 26 September 1888. The hospital existed for 100 years before it was closed in 1988 when the work of the hospital was transferred to the Fleming Wing of the Royal Victoria Infirmary.
Little is known of Fleming’s life or career, but in his lifetime he is reputed to have made charitable gifts in excess of £100,000, which represents many millions of pounds in today’s money.